Thursday, December 26, 2013

The holidays bring joy and…well lots of food.

Let me start by saying MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope everyone thus far has had a wonderful holiday season.

Next let me say how much it sucks that the gym is closed on such holidays. There are plenty of people who a) do not celebrate these holidays, b) who work these holidays, and c) who just want gym time to combat their holiday food! I realized how crummy it is that they can't have a few worker bees at the gym on holidays. I work holidays, lord knows the hospital never closes. Gas stations, Jack in the Box, grocery stores for a certain amount of time, plenty of people work holidays. I wish there were some gyms that were just open!

Now that the rant and rave is over… weekly update time! Last week I posted a picture of my workout calendar with all my pretty highlighted colors on it. Well, haha… my brother came in that Thursday, then there was a party where we drank a lot on Friday, and Saturday was an entire day of family early Christmas celebration. So now, for the month of December, I have 4 naughty orange marks from days I should have worked out but didn't. I can't fault myself too much for it being the holidays and all--even though I just complained that the gym should be open…! :) Well this week has been back on track. Colin and I are changing our gym routine. Not only does a lot rely on my physical well being this year, but so does his. He is leaving for a 9 month intense super medic course with a lot of physical demands. Sunday we went ahead and tried it out, after an 1 hour and a half of pumping weights, dripping sweat, and being sore for legitimately 4 days, it worked. That's our new plan and we're sticking to it.

This week finishes up a month of Brazil Butt Lift. I think my butt is more square now like… sponge bob square pants, it's weird and I don't like it. The next two weeks is the advanced part of the program and then I'll move on to Hip Hop Abs. Today I was cleared by my orthopedic surgeon to go forth and conquer the military nursing job. So I really have to kick it in gear. I have been doing 100 push ups and 100 sit ups daily in addition to my 1-2 hours of work outs daily. I really need to be doing more cardio however so that's on me to use my elliptical, swim, light runs, etc. That's the next goal is introducing those things.

For Christmas my awesome parents got me the fitbit force. I am completely in love. http://www.fitbit.com/force So, a brief overview of what it does: it has a clock, you can use the timer function to start and stop times of workouts, it tracks steps taken, distance traveled, active minutes, stairs climbed, calories burned, hours slept, quality of sleep, and a silent alarm (which is awesome, Colin doesn't wake up now!). It also has a food diary but the cool thing is that it connects with MyFitnessPal which what I use to log my food. So based on my activity for the day and projected activity for the rest of the day, with my 500 cal deficit a week for 1 lb weight loss/weekly, it will adjust how many calories I can eat the rest of the day. It.is.AWESOME. I am super obsessed. There is the band I wear on my wrist which is stylish and gives you all those featured numbers, a phone app, and the whole overview with charts and data and stats on the website. I'm in love. So I've been tracking everything this week and have been kicking butt. I realized where part of my weight gain came from however. Christmas was yesterday we did family stuff, sat around, napped, and ate food. No gym (cause it was closed duh). I ate my usual 1600ish calories and barely even burned that much to include my BMR. CRAZY. So I think back to the last few months and all my days off which all I did was eat nap watch tv eat nap watch tv. More intake than outtake = wt gain. Bam. Not any more. This awesome thing really plays into my OCD. I'm motivated. I check it all the time. And at the end of the day if I'm not where I need to be I can do some quick exercises or take the dogs around the block. But throughout the day I really aim to meet my fitness goals and this tracks it all and keeps me going. Seriously worth the $129 for it if you're serious about your fitness goals and you don't mind being ocd. There are less complicated and less featured ones out there. It really helps sink in that my days off I have got to be active to meet my goals.

Today I also took a lovely trip to Whole Foods. Colin has decided for 2014 his goal will to be more health and fitness oriented as well. Which means, he is going to be pretty much doing the Whole 30 with me (and we will use almond milk for our protein shakes as a somewhat dairy--but no dairy other than that!). I am super stoked because that'll make it much easier for me. Not only is there the Boise Co Op and Whole Foods, Trader Joe's is right around the corner and almost built. So we have plenty of good places within 10 minutes of us for our healthy groceries. It'll be a month of struggle as far as using are recipes and creating food diversity, but we'll make it, together. I'm really excited now that I've about finished an entire month really getting good work out time and in the habit that I can now work on some additional dietary changes. I'm not going to count my chickens just yet, but I'm down to 121 now and 20% body fat. Progress!

Justin (Colin's brother) and his parents, got us two awesome recipe books: The Men's Health BIG Book of Food & Nutrition and The Healthiest Meals on Earth. That along with the Whole 30 recipes, we should be good to go. Next week we'll have our weekly grocery list and take a trip to the Co Op and Whole Foods. Obviously it's ridiculous to throw out everything in our pantry and fridge, so we'll use up what we have and anything we need comes from healthy organic sources. Your health shouldn't have a cost--so we're willing to cough up some more money to alter what we put in our bodies. Super excited!

That's it for now. I'm going to go through some recipes and make plans and grocery lists. Anything we make that tastes good I'll be sure to share on the recipe section. This week I've just been kicking up doing 10,000+ steps a day (5+ miles a day), being under the projected calorie requirements, and doing the stairs at work. Baby steps.

Happy holidays, talk to you next week. It'll be another drinking period but it'll be our last one for a while. New Year's Eve party and the 1st is our 4th year anniversary so more drinking. Thennnn we'll be right on track. Don't forget, mindful eating on the holidays! Stick to the protein and veggies and super small servings of the rest of the stuff, and don't go back for seconds unless it's for the meat!

-Nicolette

PS: Weekly motivation quotes, this first one, I'm finishing 4 weeks and I'm seeing my body change!

And if you every ask yourself this question, the answer is YES! This is the flowchart I love the most.


No comments:

Post a Comment