Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Try try again

Well, it's been since JULY since I've blogged. There has been a lot that has happened in the last several months. I ended July with a full month of Insanity. I learned to love it, loved the soreness, loved the energy, loved the changes my body was going through. I mentioned before August would bring Army annual training and surgery. It ended up being both at the same time pretty much. I stopped blogging because I felt I needed some privacy to deal with all the stress of my life at the time. SO what happened? And what made me blog again? To spare you all the details I'll give an abbreviated version of the last few months.

1) Annual training did a week in the field (kinda sucked at the time!!!)
2) Underwent surgery (ovary remnant and tube removed anddd a inguinal hernia repair with mesh all at the same time)
3) 2-3 days later went back to annual training and stayed on base to finish it up
4) Finished recovery from surgery and started physical therapy for pubic symphysis instability (basically the front bone of the pelvic ring sucks and hurts all the time)
5) Switched from night shift to day shift, found working out time to be way harder
6) ALL my days off filled with doctors appointments
7) Weight gain from hormone adjustment (and not the best eating habits and too tired to work out with 12 hr shifts)

That probably sums up the majority of it. I'm still doing physical therapy and massage therapy weekly. The mesh from the hernia repair is (just my luck) peeling up!! So pelvic pain from the instability and pain with the mesh. How fun! Can't get into see my surgeon until January, so we're heat packing it and see if I can form some scar tissue to tack that sucker back down. Lucky me!!!

So the reason I'm jump starting my blog again is to help keep myself accountable with healthy life style choices and of course having the support from the wonderful people in my life. According to my last post early July, I was 116. Dec 1st I started a fitness program and I was 124! According to my doctor last week I've gained 4 pounds since the end of August after surgery, and 12 pounds since I started seeing him 3 years ago (not bad  right?!) You'd think hey that's not bad, BUT the majority of those 12 pounds have been this year alone.  I've been exhausted. Sleep as much and as often as I can without feeling like it helps. Not as chipper as usual. Diet not great but not the worst. It's just discouraging to start a program and due to work or medical issues having to stop. So there we go, it was time to start up again and keep it up.

December 1st I created a workout program and have been sticking to it thus far. I haven't taken pictures and I haven't taken measurements. Definitely not the priority right now. The priority is gaining my energy back, feeling better, and trying to be pain free. I'm hoping 2014 will be a better year for all parts of my life!!! I can say from Dec 1 with my exercise program and enforcing myself to have a bed time, I've been feeling a ton better already.

So here we go Dec 1, 2013 my start weight was 124. I know for a fact from the doctors office last week I've lost 2 pounds so far. So my 2 week check in I'm 122. My goal is still about the same. I want to get down to 110. 2 down, 12 to go. See the pictures below for my motivational tools!! Since working 12 hour DAY shifts (yay!) it's been really hard to find a time to work out. No way in hell I'm getting up between 4-5ish am to work out! And it's really hard to work out after a 12 hour shift. I've made a pact with myself. Days that I have to work I work out for 1 hour and so far it's been after work. Colin has been supportive in giving up some us time so that I can work out after work. It sucks because I come home, work out, shower, and then get to spend an hour with him before my 10 pm bedtime! But we've been making it work pretty well. One of my goals is to be able to start my day with my hour work out before work instead so after work is us time. Then, on days I do not work, I work out 2 hours a day usually if Colin is free an hour of that is with him. It seems like a lot but it's working! I feel more energetic, I get plenty of rest and have a bed time, and my body is responding to it. I still have pain and that sucks. But more to come on that after the surgeon appointment in Jan.

Now, I'm on the tail end of my recovery for my surgery. I've had a lot of trauma to my abdominal and pelvic region to include 2 surgeries, a pelvic stress fracture, and the instability! So as far as abs and upper legs go, I really have to be careful and go slow (as proven with the stupid hernia thing). While I am dyingggggg to go back to Insanity, that is totally the wrong answer. I absolutely love Beach Body programs and with my crazy schedule, it really helps to work out at home with DVDs. So, I lined up the programs. I'm doing Brazil Butt Lift right now. I'll move on to Hip Hop Abs, then Turbo Jam, then Turbo Fire, THEN Insanity, and the Asylum 1 and 2. It'll be a good 8 months or so of building up to Insanity again. Good progression. Inbetween the DVD workouts, I also bought myself an elliptical as an early Christmas present. So I have some low impact cardio I get to do. Then the weight lifting I do with Colin (benching 85 lbs woo). It's a good spread!! So 1 hour a day when I work a 12, 2 hours a day on days off. So far so good. Check out the pictures below.

I literally created a calendar from Dec 1 13 to Dec 31 14 with my workout schedule 6 days a week the entire year. I put my work schedule in there and adjust to my work vs off days. Every day lists what workout I'm doing. Every week has a weekly goal to accomplish. Every month has a goal to accomplish as well. I have specific colors I highlight the days with for a rest day, workout day, and missed work out day when I didn't do an exercise. Here's my calendar for December. I've missed 1 day so far this month (out of the 18 days). So this visually motivates me to see what I've accomplished! I take all my workouts and put them into www.mapmyfitness.com  It's an awesome phone app and keeps track of my work outs to include hours worked out and calories burned. I write that to the right of each week when it's complete.


In addition to the calendar and fitness app, I saw this idea on pinterest and created it. A weight gained jar with some marbles and a weight lost jar with some marbles. 14 marbles in the left jar with my start date and weight, then 2 marbles in the right jar with my goal weight and date. I'm aiming for my goal by my 26th birthday so giving myself 6 months to make weight. It's pretty exciting actually to move a marble from the gained to the lost jar.



So rather than working on all this weight and exercise business, I know that 80% of weight loss/gain is about what you put in your body; the food you eat! I recently read the book It Starts With Food, Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life In Unexpected Ways. It's an awesome book and the program has changed many peoples lives. So, while it has some great information and I'd like to try it out, I'm not going to go full blown with it. It's really hard to do some sort of diet when your significant other isn't doing one, and you can't clean out the fridge and cabinets. It goes off the basis of the paleo diet without being obsessive and strict. Essentially you have to cut out all the crap (and the alcohol!! :( ) and base your meals off protein, vegetables, some fruit, and healthy fats (no dairy, gluten, booze, etc). So that's the basis of it. Good read and I definitely recommend it. http://www.whole9life.com/itstartswithfood/

The biggest thing I need from friends is good recipes! I really need some recipes mostly for vegetables and crock pot meals. That's my hardest thing to eat veggies in different ways and making meals on those 12 hour days. Any help with that would be awesome! After the holidays I'll have finished a solid 4.5 weeks of exercise and then I'll do the harder part of the diet clean up. In the mean time I'll just keep focusing on introducing veggies.

Well I'm tired, I've talked myself out. In some exciting side news, I'm applying to be a Nursing Officer in the Army! It'll be like going to drill as I do now, but as an officer and doing a nursing job rather than being an enlisted medic. Wish me luck!

Until next week,
Nic

And to keep up with tradition, here's the weekly motivators!
(and 2 hours is only 8%!)


No comments:

Post a Comment